Common Putting Mistake #1: Focusing too much on having a perfect putting stroke
Focusing on making a perfect putting stroke will inhibit feel and take your mind of the main objective… which is the target!
“A good stroke is the result of a relaxed body joined to an attentive mind following a dependable pre-shot routine.”
What do you think a hunter is thinking about when he throws a spear at an animal? Do you think he is
thinking about taking is elbow back above his ear, making a 35 degree angle between forearm and bicep, whilst rotating shoulders 90 degrees, before releasing the spear and making sure his weight is transferred onto his front foot, whilst holding perfect form?…
…If he thinks like this, he and his family will starve. I think not, he is totally focused on lining up the animal and throwing the spear at a precise spot on the animal; end of story, B.B.Q dinner here we come!
Same with putting; if you think too technically, you are not going to hole many putts.
Once you start getting more focused on the target – and less on technique, you will start holing loads of putts.
Mistake #2: Changing to some new radical grip will make you a better putter
Cross-hand-grips, claw-grips and belly-putters are all fine and good tools to help you develop a pendulum stroke. But don’t neglect the other (more important) factors like: visualization, routine, and confidence by being too focused on the type of putter and grip you are using.
Mistake #3: Buying new putters and changing putters will make you a better putter
No Sir, buying a new putter or changing putters all the time is like purchasing the “Miracle-Abs-Cruncher” or the “Magic-Diet-Pill” to lose weight. Do lean, strong, healthy people use these “quick-fix” products (dreamed up by marketers) to develop their bodies?…
…Of course not, it is the same with putters; they are simply tools to express what the mind is thinking and feeling. The mind connects with the body, the body connects with the putter and the putter connects with the ball… and if the mind is working well, the ball will connect with the bottom of the hole!
Mistake #4: Luck, greens and putts not breaking can be the cause of missed putts
If you lip out… you have hit the putt to wide; no luck involved. The putt has not gone in because: the green was not read correctly or the putt was miss hit or the putt was not hit at the correct speed.
When a player starts to look at the REASON for this miss putt, instead of making excuses (like some many people do), the player is on the road to becoming a great putter. Missed putts are gifts, and I will show you how you can use these gifts to putt great.
Mistake #5: Not practicing how you play
I call them “putting-robots;” you know… players that stand in a crouched posture, pumping balls out from the same spot, ball after ball, imprinting their size 10 Nikes into the green.
Hey, a good stroke is important but a good stroke only happens when your mind is relaxed, you are following a routine and you are reacting to the target. You can not have a good stroke and hope to putt well week-in week-out when you are focused solely on the stroke.
Maybe it is just me… but when I get out on the course I have 30ft-double-breakers, 5ft-left-to-right down-hill putts, 14ft-straight-flat putts and maybe an 8ft-curling, pressurized-putt on the 18th to finish off a great round and or win a competition
What would happen if you practiced like you played?
What would happen if you combined proper practice with a putting system to follow?
Would you be better able to handle all those putts and all situations? I know you would.
Mistake #6: Not having a repeatable routine
Routine? What’s you talkin about Willis? This his how great players hole loads of putts and can putt well under pressure. Think Tiger Woods, Nick Faldo, Jack Nicklaus; they get nervous like anyone does, but they have a dependable, physical and mental routine that shields them from the nerves and destructive thoughts.
This is why many amateurs can go out and have 5 or 6 up on the front side then have 5 or 6 down on the back 9. The pressure gets to them; they do not have a grooved pre-putt routine to turn to. It doesn’t have to be this way, a dependable routine that you know inside and out, it is your secret weapon; your guardian angel against pressure.
I have developed: through research, practice and experience (under pressure) these techniques for many years now; you can be nervous (as I get too) but if you have a routine to follow, you can continue to make putts and keep a good round going – even when the pressure is on.
Having a dependable routine is also a passport into the “zone” – that place where putts are holed from all over; you feel calm, focused and the game feels easy. What a beautiful feeling.
Every Great Putter Has A System For Putting…
… They have a checklist of things they do when the get to every green.
They have keys to turn to when they have to make 3-6-foot putts when the pressure is on.
They get nervous, they get tense, but the best putters have simple strategies and keys that gets their heads back to where they need to be – so their bodies can still perform well and make the putt.
Do you have the strategies and keys that enable you to keep “making shots” when the pressure is on deep into the back-nine?
If you want to putt well consistently, get “hot” more frequently and hold together a good round all the way through to the end of the 18th hole…
…Then take a look at this:
The Truth About Putting E-Book and Videos
Inside the Truth About Putting E-Book you will learn:
- How to make all you short-putts (I give you the complete system, physical and mental)
- How to virtually eliminate all 3-putt greens
- The unique system for holing putts under pressure
- How miss-putts can make you putt great for the rest of the round (I use this secret all the time). Once you learn this you will NEVER have a bad putting round.
- What stroke-keys you should use to maintain focus under pressure (18th green with a 6ft downhill slider to go low… no problem!)
- How to practice effectively (nearly no one practices properly)
- How to get into the ZONE
- How to master putting from off the green, leaving yourself with “tap-ins”
- How to develop a pure putting stroke
- How to turn on and off each side of your brain when required; one of the keys to great putting
- How a poor set-up can sabotage any chance of making putts consistently good putts
- The secrets to developing a World class pre-shot routine (the same one I use to hole bombs every round)
- The techniques that let you putt free of fear and full of confidence
- The unique green reading method that I used to hole 7 x 18ft putts in 9 holes (shot 6-under)
- A complete step-by-step guide to a putting system for you to use
This Book Is A Result of Extensive Trial and Error (on the course) and Research Into The Art and Science of Putting
It all started in the late 90′s when I was doing a Professional Trainee-ship. I was always a solid putter (doing loads of practice as a youngster) but never freaky. That changed in late 1997; from this point on I have had dozens of peak putting performances.
Through studying what leading sports and golf psychologists where teaching to leading golfers at the time – and practicing, testing and adding to this information myself, I came up with a step-by-step system for consistently good putting round after round.
These rounds include multiple birdie barrages featuring 4-6 birdies in 5-10 holes. One of the most extreme rounds was a victory as a Trainee Professional…
… At this time I was a very ordinary ball-striker and on this day I hit a typical 9 greens in regulation…
… The result of hitting 9 greens in regulation was a winning 3-under par round containing just 23 putts!
I just “dug-up” the round-diary from back then, check this out:
And 15 years later…
I continue to improve and had a personal best score just the other day of 7-under par (65) featuring some handy iron-play, 9 birdies and 25 putts.
Check out the score card below…
I was deep in the zone on this day, and I cover valuable insights gained from this and other rounds in the E-Book, Videos and E-Lesson series.
Putting well when in counts
It is one thing to putt well, but it is another thing to putt well when the pressure is on – in a match, or maybe even finishing off a “personal best medal-score” – like I did the other day. These are the times when you have to “close the deal”, get the most out of yourself and break new ground. Embrace the challenge!
I take you through the tactics needed to “finish off” a great round – even if you hands a shaky.
“Anyone can become an excellent putter… because the putting-action is so simple”.
The key to rock-solid short-putting under pressure and making long putts…
… is following a step-by-step mental and physical process for each putt; step 1… step 2… step 3… putt… Ka-ching! Repeat and tweak.
The system for you to follow is laid out in The Truth About Putting Videos, Books and E-Course
More from the inside:
- The Book lays out the 11 physical and mental aspects that contribute to consistent, dependable and sometimes… downright freaky putting
- The book is not a “War and Peace” in length (50 pages), and it will only cost about as much as a couple of golf balls would cost you. If I had access to the knowledge that is in this book 15 years ago – and I knew what it could do for me – I would have paid thousands of dollars for it
- What the book contains is everything you need to take your putting to higher levels
- Whether you are a tour-pro, a young amateur-gun on the rise, or a low, mid or high handicap club-golfer, this book will help your game.
But you don’t just receive an E-Book…This is 2013 we can do better than than that.
… You also get 13 Videos that go through the key concepts outlined in the book and…
… You receive a 6 week E-course (email course; twice per week; actually, its up to about 20 lessons now). I wanted to give you something more than the book and videos so I have developed an E-Course featuring two weekly email lessons to guide you through the improvement cycle.
The e-lessons will help you learn:
- How to practice properly (95% of golfers don’t practice the right way)
- How to analyze you putts properly so you can turn a missed putt into a great putting round.
- How to apply the information in the books and videos to your practice and play
- More “members only” putting articles
#NOTE: Larry Pearson From Huston Texas (see success stories below or success stories page), credits the ongoing lessons over 2 months as a major part of him reducing his putts/round by over 3 putts.
All for one payment of $49
What Golfers Are Saying About The Truth About Putting…
Truth About Putting Tribe Member Ian Has Gone From Shooting In The Nineties To Shooting In The Seventies In 12 Weeks!
Here is what Ian said in an email exchange I had with him…
“After “surfing the net” for “get-better-at-golf-information,” he came across The Truth About Putting home page. The message on the page (remember the photo of the Hunter) rang home. Ian had played plenty of sport and darts in particular. He took the fire-at-the-target darts mentality to the greens” (like old Ray in email-1 did). Wise move Ian. “I Managed to break 80 for the first time last Easter weekend. For that I thank you.
My poor sad mates want to know what kinda performance enhancing drugs i’m on. Do i share this information with them, no hope in hell is that happening!”
And Fred… He is averaging 28 putts/round
“Hi Anthony, I have been using your method for 12 rounds of golf. I am very happy to say that my lowest was 26 and my highest was 31 putts per round. My handicap is 7 and I am 66 years old. I am a believer of your method of putting. I am looking forward to keep on improving using your method of putting.
“I Won The B-Grade Club Championship”
I have just won the B Grade club championship at Narooma
Your newsletters and videos helped tune my game so I could be consistent over the four days of the championship
Regards Gary Morgan
After A Few Weeks Of “Tinkering (And Some Email Pointers By Myself) Female Golfer Joan Broke Her Handicap By 5 Shots And Shot 41 Stableford Points
I have had a lesson on my putting in the past but they never covered the 4 Rs or explained it like you have. I use to putt from instinct and have won putting competitions in the past but I have never analyzed the putts like I can now and learn from a missed putt instead of getting nervous over each putt.
Update #3, Joan wins club championship by 20 shots and has 24 putts in the final round!
And 65 Years Young, 8-Handicapper Larry From Huston, Texas, U.S.A…. Larry tells me that over 20 rounds – he has gone from an average of 34 putts/round to 30.5 – a 3.5 shot/round improvement (to go with lower scores). Here is a short extract from Larry…
(To see Larry’s and many more golfers full testimonials – go here)
“The new information and the reminders each week [email lessons] to practice the putting routine is a key element to success. The putting routine has become a habit now, along with mapping a spot or spots on the putting surface to make your stroke to the hole. When I would catch myself not doing this, the results weren’t very good. When I do my routine, the results are usually very good. The mindset now is that I should make every putt inside of 20 feet and that I will always have a tap in on any length putt if it doesn’t go in the hole. I don’t ever think now that the putt is not going in. What a different thinking from 4 months ago. Thank you again Anthony for all your help. You really have something with “The Truth About Putting.”
My sincere gratitude and thanks.
“Recently, a partner said that I just walk up to the ball and knock it in without fear.”
“The biggest improvement in my putting has been in the short stuff. The one to two metre putts no longer cause my knees to knock. I now also regularly have less than 30 putts per round and have all but eliminated three-putts. Truth About Putting has given me real insight. It is a system that is reliable and works. The best endorsement, though, is from playing partners who have commented about how well I am putting. Recently, a partner said that I just walk up to the ball and knock it in without fear. Sound familiar?”
Brad Muir. 16 Handicapper, Queensland, Australia
Fresh in from Singapore… Another inspirational success story from Truth About Putting Devotee – Beh Chin. His words:
“From using your technique, my best round was 24 putts with scores 78 (my best scores ever). There are some amazing experiences through those game, last month I played the round of 82 with 25 putts, I made 3 birdies in 4 holes, this feels very good and enjoyable.
Thanks for the continuous advice and technique recommendations.
Really enjoy the games now.
Jim is is breaking 80 more often…
Thanx for the lessons. I have improved my putting since I have used your method. I rarely 3 putt anymore. I feel that once I’m on the green I’m confident I will at least 2 putt and sometimes, 1 putt. I have just started using your magic swing technique [swing videos and e-book]. I am concentrating on using my left arm as the guide letting my right arm go along for the ride. I have hit some tremendous drives but still occasionally lose focus and hit some bad ones. The bad ones seem to happen when I try to “kill” the ball (hit it really far) or I get in a hurry. Any help for these problems? FYI, I shot a 77 the last round I played. I rarely shoot below 80. My goal is to be in the 70’s most of the time. With your help I know I can do it.
Me: Great work Jim!
“75 Year old, 19-handicapper 3-putts… then makes 7 one putts in last 10 greens after using a couple of tips from The Truth About Putting”
But wait… I want to make this deal even sweeter…
I have authored another other book that can help transform you golf even further…
Receive Free: “Golf Mental Mastery” with the E-Book and Videos
Improving your mental game can shave shots of your game so much quicker than working on your swing- technique.
If you want to make substantial changes to your swing, you will have to put at least two practice sessions, plus 1-2 rounds of golf every week for three-six months, and be prepared to play not so well over this period.
Why not drop a few shots of your handicap within a couple of weeks, then go after the swing changes if needed?
In the 29 page Mental Mastery E-Book you will learn:
- How to play great under pressure
- What swing keys are good for your game and what swing keys sabotage any chance of shooting low scores consistently
- How to develop a dependable pre-shot routine
- How to visualize your shots like a tour pro does (huge help)
- How to play more consistently and avoid disaster holes
- How to hit more greens and have more birdie opportunities
- How to improve your technique just by thinking better (this will make you so much swing better)
So… For The Price Of A Few Golf Balls You Can Get Hands On These great E-Books Within The Next 3 Minutes (Instant Download).
The Truth About Putting Video Lessons
In these 13 videos I take you through:
- Video – The 4 R’s of Putting; your go-to template for putting well all the time – and sometimes – amazingly well
- Video – Your putting Intention; crucial, what all great putters have – & use – on every solid putt
- Video – Making pressure putts. Handy system and psychology tips for when you’re trying to shoot a career best 9 or 18 hole score
- Video – Set-up and Technique: The foundation for the stroke
- Video – The Stroke: What to think about and what not to
- Video – Pre-Putt Routine: Soooo important to becoming a great putter
- Video – The Learning Process. Learn the system then cement it in to your game – forever.
- Video - The Stroke (theory)
- Video - The Stroke in Action
- Video – Demonstration of the whole putting process
- Video – Missed Putts: how you can use them to putt well for the rest of the round
- Video – Putting Practice: how to do it properly
- Video – How to make all your short-putts
- Video – Long putts from on and off the green. Learn how to build up strong feel that sends the ball to the hole on long, long putts.
If you would like to virtually eliminate 3-putt greens, make all your 6ft-putts and regularly have 5 or 6 one-putt greens in 9 holes, then grab the E-Book, Videos & E-Course below now
Click Below To Go Through To Our Pricing Page and Get:
- The Truth About Putting E-Book Valued at $35
- The Truth About Putting Videos Valued at $35
- The Putting E-Course (12 lessons) Valued at $48
- The Mental Mastery E-Book Valued at $19
- Full email lesson support if needed – from Anthony, valued at $?? Joan (see success stories above) didn’t quite “get it” straight away, but after a few personal email lessons – combined with the regular weekly content – her putting exploded (in a good way!)
All for one payment of $49
100% Money Back Guarantee!
Try The Truth About Putting for 60 days…
… if it doesn’t make you a better putter (with a little effort), let us know and we will give you your money back… And you can keep the book!
Come inside and join the tribe!